29 July 2012

Dyeing with Stampin' Up reinkers

Do you know you can use reinkers to easily dye paper flowers and other fabric trims and embellishments?  Paper trims will dye well, but results will vary depending on the content and finishing coating on any other fibres. Dyeing trim to match your project is very useful when you cannot find the right colour to match.

Today, though I am using my reinkers completely off the page:
My daughter will be a flower girl in an upcoming wedding and the bridemaids dresses are very similar to Stampin' Up's Pool Party colour.  The flowergirl dress includes white fabric flowers between two layers of netting.  The white flowers are OK, but I have decided to dye them using my pool party reinker to match in better with the other dresses and to soften the whiteness of the dress.  

You can see my high-tech equipment:

A glass bowl filled with water and drops of reinker, a spoon to mix, tweezers to help fish the flowers out and paper to set the dyed flowers to dry.  I would recommend paper towel to dry the flowers on, but I had none left!  The amount of reinker to use will depend on the colour saturation required, I started with 15 drops and increased it to 20 after my first flower came out.  



Completely immerse the flower and when it has been tinted, remove it from the bowl.  As you can see, they're not white anymore!  Yay.



Here you can see the flowers drying, I like to leave them to air dry and I also stand them up on the petals so the ink will pool at the petal edges - if I need more colour I can daub some pool party ink directly into the flower centres and I also used my Big Shot to cut a few organza flowers from the leftover bridesmaid fabric and I have started stitching them into the flower centres.  I can tell you, dyeing the flowers is much easier!  I'll post a pic of the finished dress when it's all done!

Happy Stamping,

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, your project has been chosen for the July 31 Blog finds of the Day. If you would like to see other projects chosen, please visit http://blogfindsoftheday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...