09 October 2010

Anniversary Hearts



My husband and I have just celebrated our first decade of marriage, so I wanted to make a special card.  I had been reading about vellum accents so I decided to create my own and I love how they turned out.

Cardstock:  Soft Suede, Very Vanilla, Cardstock Vellum 106584
Ink: Rich Razzleberry marker 120970, Baja Breeze marker 120965
Stamps: Occasional Quotes (Hostess set)
Acc:  Elegant Soiree DSP 117163, Heart to heart punch 119881, Crystal Effects 101055, Dazzling Diamonds 102023, Mini glue dots 103683

Using a small piece of the stripey Elegant Soiree DSP, I cut nine squares each 2.5cm x 2.5cm and sponged the edges of each piece with soft suede before adhering them to the very vanilla front.  I sponged the edges of the very vanilla also in soft suede to match the card backing.  Next came the fun part:  Using cardstock vellum, I punched out 10 wide hearts using my heart-to-heart punch.  I did not punch out the set of 3 hearts each time, I just inserted an edge of the vellum until I could punch out the desired heart.  I rolled a couple of strips of repositionable adhesive (dotto is perfect 103305, or you could use 2-way glue 100425 just make sure to let the glue dry first to make it temporary) on to some scratch paper and pressed the hearts on for the next step.  Using a sponge dauber 102892 in a circular motion, I applied rich razzleberry ink to the hearts, building up the layers of colour until I was happy with the intensity.  The vellum cardstock retains its translucency, but takes the ink colour so well.  Because this was all on scratch paper I could apply even colour by starting off the edge of each heart.  Next I used crystal effects 101055 and applied a thin layer carefully over each heart.  If you start off the edge of the hearts with CE, they will stick to the scratch paper!  I let it start to dry for a couple of minutes, then dusted dazzling diamonds over the whole lot liberally, turning the scratch paper upside down and tapping the excess back into the container.  The dazzling diamonds glitter on CE gives the most fabulous "stardust" super sparkly look.  I set it aside to completely dry.  Because CE is waterbased, it caused the vellum hearts to buckle as they dried, which I loved as it didn't distort the hearts, just gave them character.  If you would prefer a flatter look, you could always press them under some heavy books once they are completely dried. I used my trusty mini glue dots 103683 to adhere the hearts to each square, and the last heart next to the sentiment, which I coloured with markers to match the card.

I will continue to experiment with vellum cardstock accents as it brings an extra dimension to the card.  it would be very easy to make a batch of these hearts in one go, and just use them as you need to.

The most important thing is that my DH loved his card and I love him.

Happy Stamping,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...