31 May 2010

Sweet treats for a sweet boy



Well, it has been a few weeks since I have been able to sit down and make anything that has stayed in the house long enough for me to take a photo!  I am sure that some of you know what I mean.  Lately I have been finishing cards at 5.45pm to just sneak into the postbox across the road for the 6.00pm pickup.

Here is a card that uses the brilliant sweet treat cups (item 116802 autumn-winter mini cat), which I have had for a couple of months and only just gotten around to using.  These snazzy plastic cups fit perfectly into a 1 3/4" circle, and can house all manner of things, from little edible treats to embellishments.  I have even seen someone fill them with water and glitter to simulate the ocean!  Make sure you make a door or slider to access the edible goodies, lest your handiwork end up shredded by impatient fingers!

Cardstock: Brilliant Blue, Only Orange, Whisper White
Ink: Pacific Point, Riding Hood Red, Pumpkin Pie, Basic Black
Stamps:  Upsy Daisy, Big Deal alphabet, An Eggcellent Easter
Acc:  Blender pen, heat and stick powder, dazzling diamonds glitter, stamp-a-ma-jig, 1 3/4" circle punch, glue dots, marker pens, versamark

I started by punching a 1 3/4" circle in the lower centre of my WW cardstock.  I then used my SAMJ to position the "b" and "y" on the card front.  I then fitted the punched out circle back into place to stamp the letter "o", so once the treats are removed, it still makes sense. This punched out circle will be fitted to the inside door flap, so keep it aside till later.  Next I inked up just the word "birthday" from the Upsy Daisy sentiments and stamped it above the word "b-o-y".  I inked the balloon portion from an Eggcellent Easter set and stamped those in the corners.  Using a black stampin write marker, I freehand drew the strings.  Time for colouring the balloons to your liking, then the all important bling - dazzling diamonds applied using the heat 'n' stick powder.  If you have not used this before, it is no different to heat embossing, just one extra step involved.  Ink up the balloon portion again, this time with Versamark, then using your SAMJ, realign the balloon over the original stamped image and stamp again over the top with the versamark. Sprinkle heat and stick powder over the balloon and tap off the excess.  Heat the powder with a heat tool until it goes clear, then quickly sprinkle the dazzling diamonds over the top.  A quick blast with the heat gun again will set the diamonds in place and voila, a beautifully glittered outline.  I find it easiest to have all my powders and scrap papers/ trays for catching excess all set up individually ready to go for this process.  Here is a close up of the results (which looks so much better in real life):











Now that the card front is complete, I marked the hole in the only orange layer, punched out the corresponding 1 3/4" hole and adhered the card front to the orange layer.  Now to make the door....... I marked the circle lightly in pencil on the brilliant blue cardstock, then cut a rectangle slightly larger on THREE sides only.  The 4th side I scored, to create a hinge.  I punched a tab and adhered it to the flap, to make it clear how to access the treats, then stuck the cardfront on to the base.  Next I repositioned the letter "o" that I had set aside, and adhered it to the flap.  Now it is time to insert the sweet treat cup, which I did through the flap using mini glue dots to adhere.  I filled the cup with M&Ms (eating all the brown ones as they didn't fit the colour scheme) and used another glue dot under the tab on the inside to keep the door closed and to prevent MY KIDS from helping themselves. 

I love the way this card turned out, especially since I just used the stamp sets I had on hand.  There is a stamp set designed to go with the sweet treats cups (A Little Treat A/W mini cat), but you can let your imagination go wild.  The sweet treats cups are $6.50 for a pack of 12, so now it's your turn to have a go.

Happy Stamping,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...